Best Home Improvements for a Fabulous Fall
Posted by: Claire M | 10/17/2018 at 10:30 AM
Multicolored leaves are falling, the scent of cinnamon in the air and cooler temperatures signal the perfect time to make all the hottest fall home improvements, from cleaning and repairs to décor.
Fall Home Exterior Improvements
Spring isn’t the only season for a good cleaning! Tackling these home improvement projects will keep you comfy and safe.
- Start at the top: Now that the roof isn’t burning from summer heat, making simple repairs is a great way to earn a significant return on your investment. A handy homeowner may want to tackle shingle replacements or filling in thin spots. More pressing concerns, such as leaks, require professional roofing contractors. Fall maintenance is important, because wear and tear on your roof can increase in the colder months.
- Gut the goo from the gutters: Protect your updated roof and your home’s foundation by cleaning the gutters. Without gutter guards, debris easily fills the channels, blocking the flow of rainwater. In winter, that blockage can freeze and cause significant issues, making this a critical fall home improvement task. Take time before the temps tumble to clean this area.
- Powerful clean: In the era of home-improvement and DIY reality shows, curb appeal is everything. While power washing will undoubtedly restore shine to your house, it does more than that. This cleaning keeps mold and mildew from building up, which over time can cause wood rot and other costly issues.
Fall Home Interior Improvement Projects
Now, it’s time to transform the interior of your home into a comfortable and eye-catching haven, ready for fall fun and happy holidays!
- Check your HVAC: To ensure your indoor air system keeps your family warm and safe, arrange a checkup from a local repair shop. Your heating and AC system will put in overtime as the weather adjusts from one extreme to another and regular checkups help you decrease energy bills. For more tips on savings in the fall and winter months, check out our post here.
- Fireplace face lift: If you use the fireplace often in the colder months, you must keep it clean. The buildup of soot in the chimney can cause breathing difficulties for your family and is a fire hazard. Have a professional inspection for an extra layer of safety.
- Pick a perfect hue: A quick way to refresh your home’s interior is to add a splash of color with a new interior coat of paint. This is a great way to change the feel of your home. You can add warmth with deep, rich hues or brighten a space with a lighter color.
The value of your home isn’t just about what it can sell for on the market. Taking the time to have a clean, energy-efficient, well-decorated house is a great way to spend the fall and prepare for the coming winter.
Back to the Spark →