New Occupant Statement for Switch Hold Removal

What is the purpose of a Switch Hold?
The purpose of a Switch Hold is to ensure that the occupant takes care of any/all outstanding charges tied to a deferred payment plan or meter tampering before switching to a new Retail Electric Provider.

How are Switch holds removed?
Switch Holds prevent a switch transaction from being completed for the ESI ID and shall prevent a move-in transaction from being completed pending documentation that the applicant for electric service is a new occupant not associated with the customer for which the switch-hold was imposed. Documentation is needed to ensure you’re not associated with the prior occupant. To get started, please email or fax (877) 585-5393 a signed copy of your:

  1. New Occupant Statement and
  2. Proof of Occupancy Document (e.g., utility bill)

See details below:

  1. New Occupant Statement
    This statement affirms you’re a new occupant at the address where you’d like to start electricity service. If you’re associated with the occupant with the Switch Hold, you’ll need to contact the current electricity provider of the premise to have the Switch Hold removed. Be sure the form is completed and signed to avoid delays.
    Download a copy of the New Occupant Statement

  2. Proof of Occupancy Document
    Please provide one of the following documents that include both your name and address.
    • Utility bill. (water, electric, gas, cable, or Internet). It must be in your name and dated within last two months from a different address. We can’t accept bills for cell phone service.
    • Signed copy of your lease. If you are moving into a rental property, you may provide a copy of your lease agreement. The lease agreement must contain at least the first and last pages of the lease, but we can accept the entire lease agreement. The address must match the one where you want to start electricity service, and it must have the date and signatures of both the tenant and the landlord/property manager. Essential elements of the lease are:
      • Premise address
      • Name of landlord and tenant(s)
      • Lease period
      • Signatures of landlord and tenant(s)
      • Signature dated after Switch Hold placed
    • Affidavit of Landlord. The Landlord Affidavit is a form completed by the Landlord that affirms they are the landlord for the service address and the new tenant is not associated with the previous occupant for which the Switch Hold was applied. It must be signed, dated, and notarized.
    • Closing documents. If you’ve just purchased your home, you may provide a copy of your Closing Statement. The Closing Statement must be dated after the Switch Hold was placed and include the address where you want to start electricity service and both buyer and seller signatures.
    • Certificate of occupancy. A Certificate of Occupancy serves as proof that a property has complied with all standards and codes and is now fit for occupancy. It is issued by the City or the County and each local government has varying qualifications prior to issuing. Certification date on the form must be after the date the Switch Hold was applied to the service address.
      Download a copy of the Affidavit of Landlord

Please note, the name on any of the above documents must be the same as on the New Occupancy Statement.

After you’ve emailed or faxed these two completed documents to us with qualifying dates and other required information, Ambit Energy will forward the completed documentation and request the Switch Hold be removed so that your Move-In request can be processed. Please allow up to two business days for the status of your Switch Hold to be updated. We will contact you with resolution.

All Property Managers on behalf of a tenant
If one of your tenants has a Switch Hold on their new premise/address, an Affidavit of Landlord can be used in conjunction with the New Occupancy Statement for Switch Hold removal. A sample Affidavit is provided below.
Download a copy of the Affidavit of Landlord