5 Tips from Ambit Energy on Avoiding Utility Bill Scams
Posted by: Anna | 06/16/2015 at 04:15 PM
News of utility bill scams seem to pop up almost daily across the United States. Ambit Energy has provided a list of signs that indicate you may be the target of a utility bill scam. Here are some tips on how to protect yourself from these deceptive practices:
- Beware of a call from a utility company demanding payment. If you’re behind on a payment, utility companies will typically notify you via mail. You should be suspicious of a demanding caller who claims that you’re overdue on your payment and must pay immediately or else your service will be disconnected. Hang up. To be on the safe side, contact the customer service department of your utility company and inquire about your account status. The phone number for Ambit Energy’s Customer Care is 877-282-6248.
- Don’t always trust caller ID. Some scammers claiming to represent utility companies use spoofing software, which enables a false name and phone number to show up on caller ID. Using this tactic, scammers are asking for customers to pay overdue bills. There are also imposters who are based overseas who can spoof numbers so that it appears the call is coming from somewhere within the United States.
- Be cautious about giving out your credit card and debit card information. Some fake utility bill collectors will request that you call a special phone number because you’re overdue on your bill and need to pay immediately in order to avoid a disconnection. Then, you’ll be asked to provide your credit or debit card number. Don’t ever give out your credit or debit card information in this situation. Instead, call the customer service number for your energy provider to check the status of your account.
- Be wary of random emails. Don’t click on links in an unexpected email from your utility company. These random emails from scammers usually ask for your account information, which they ask you to provide after clicking their link. However, you’re putting your computer at risk of becoming infected with malware if you click on the link. And remember, utility companies will not request for you to send your account information via email.
- Don’t wire money. Some scammers request that you wire money to avoid a disconnection. You should never wire money to a person you don’t know. Instead, contact your utility company directly. If you wire money, it is not likely that you will be able to get it back.
If you get a suspicious phone call, email or text, or if you’re unsure about whether the call or correspondence is in fact from Ambit Energy, feel free to call Customer Care. Our team is more than happy to help you with any questions about your account status, payment methods and more.
You can speak with a representative Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. CT and on Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. CT at (877) 282-6248. Learn more about our Customer Care Team here. We take your personal security and the privacy of your account information very seriously. We are dedicated to protecting your personal information, so use these tips to help you protect yourself from scams.
Back to the Spark →