Winter Storm Survival for Your Home
Posted by: Anna | 12/16/2014 at 11:39 AM
Parts of the U.S. have already seen severe storms, and the worst winter weather is yet to come.
We’ve put together a few simple tips you can take to protect your home from winter storms. These tips are a great way to keep your family safe, protect your home and avoid expensive repairs when spring rolls around.
Snow accumulation is a major problem. Fight it by:
- Watching for excessive snow buildup on the downwind side of your roof. Have it removed by a professional.
- Remove snow from basement stairwells, window wells and walls to prevent water damage.
- Keep your attic ventilated to keep ice dams from forming.
- Fit exposed pipes with insulation, and keep a slow trickle of water running during extremely cold weather.
- Make sure your gutters are clear of leaves and debris.
If flooding or other damage occurs:
- Make sure the building is safe to occupy before attempting clean up.
- Turn off the electricity and gas.
- Remove as much standing water as possible.
- Contact a professional water extraction company. Fast action reduces damage and the risk of rust, rot, mold and mildew.
Back to the Spark →